Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Burgatory

I will surrender to creative failure, but there is absolutely no way I could come up with a better title than Burgatory.  I also apologize for the long hiatus! The combination of thesis-writing, grad school applications, and a full course-load left me a little too preoccupied to write, but, don't worry, I have definitely been eating.  Superbowl Sunday marked my second, albeit first successful, visit to Burgatory.  A few Saturday nights before, I ventured out of my (comfy) Pittsburgh neighborhood only to discover that--fun fact: Pittsburgh-ers LOVE red meat--there was a two-and-a-half-hour-long wait.  Thanks, but, no thanks.

Despite being peeved by my initial Burgatory experience, I didn't give up on the place.  I cooled down, waited a few weeks, and went back.  This time, a friend and I strategically planned to go on a Sunday, during one of the biggest sporting events, and at 4 o'clock.  This time, we were seated within 20 seconds of walking through the door.  Burgatory was also surprisingly less empty than I anticipated, which only excited me more.

Obviously, I was at a slight disadvantage in terms of menu selection because of my dietary restrictions, but I had heard good things about the veggie burger.  Burgatory has a number of signature sandwiches, but I thought it would be more fun and exciting for my tastebuds if I whipped up my own concoction with all of my favorite toppings and condiments.  Our waiter also convinced us to each get a milkshake by telling us: "Everyone gets one before their burgers come... and they always manage to finish both." That second part was a lie, though.



I opted for the Caramel Pretzel shake, which was definitely a great decision.  Our waiter had described it as "the best one on the menu," so I really couldn't ignore his wise words.  Burgatory also lets any 21+ guest add a shot of liquor to their shake.  While the additional alcohol was tempting, the smart side of my brain told me to refrain.

Caramel Pretzel Shake
For my entree, I ended up ordering the Phat Patti Veggie with some Bayou Cajun rub on a brioche bun.  I topped my creation with romane, tomato, red onion, pickles, jalapeños, and avocado.  I also requested some of the Chipotle Sour Cream on the side.  The veggie burger was really good; definitely not your average semi-tasteless Morningstar patty.  The burger had a good consistency and it wasn't trying to be a burger.  The veggie burger know that it wasn't made out of beef and it embraced its lentil-cashew-and-cracked-wheat-filled identity.  Additionally, the cajun rub added a little spice.  My entree also came with some homemade sweet potato chips, which were great.  The chips were not too oily and it was easy to identify the sweet potato taste in each chip.  The only downside was really the Chipotle Sour Cream.  I'm not sure what exactly I was expecting, but it was pretty bland.  My dining partner ordered the House Sauce, which was more flavorful, but it basically tasted like a version of Thousand Island dressing.  On my next trip I'd like to try the Bourbon BBQ or the Banana Ketchup--if you get there first, let me know how it tastes!

My Veggie Burger Custom Creation and Sweet Potato Chips
Visit Burgatory:
(412) 781-1456
www.burgatorybar.com

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks like quite a meal! I love when veggie-burgers don't try to be something they're not. And sweet potato fries? Always a win! Guess I have to visit you out in Pittsburgh sooon...

    ReplyDelete